We are mySupermarket Limited, Company No 5920495 registered in England with our registered office at Lower Ground Floor, 1 Great Cumberland Place, London, W1H 7AP, England (and we refer to ourselves as “mySupermarket”, “we” or “us” or “our” in this document).
We are committed to protecting your privacy. We ask that you please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we, as data controller of your personal data, will treat it.
We will only use the information that we collect about you lawfully (in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and other applicable data protection laws in the UK).
B. The Information We Collect
Data we collect from you directly
When you register to use the Sites we will ask for the following information: your name, email address, password, IP address and postcode. We may also ask you to provide your age, your phone number, your street address and possibly certain other personal details such as gender or where you heard about us.
We will also ask you to provide data as you use the Sites so that we can provide the certain aspects of the Services. For example:
- If you place an order for one of the Supermarkets, we will ask you for your login details for that Supermarket (or you can register for that Supermarket via our Website).
- If you participate in our cashback programme, we will collect and retain your PayPal or bank account information so we can pay you and we may use your Supermarket login details to verify and confirm completion of your order (or to check other eligibility criteria) before paying cashback earned. In simple terms, we may need to check you have actually bought certain goods, before paying out under the cashback programme for those goods.
Data we collect from your activity on the Sites
As you use the Sites and personalise your account, we collect data about your activity on the Sites. This includes things like:
• Information on what you buy and how you use the Sites, such as:
o information on baskets you have sent on to a Supermarket;
o your favourites;
o your sorting preferences;
o your product swaps, basket ‘splits’ and store ‘switches’;
o other details about your shops and how you have used the Sites;
o for each page viewed on a third-party Supermarket website via the Sites, we collect information on the page visited (page URL and title) and information as to how you used that page, although except for that, except as it may be requested from you as part of the Services, we do not collect any personal data about you from a third-party Supermarket website and/or from your activity on it while you are using the Services;
• Information about your use of various Sites services;
• Information about any cashback amounts you have received from our cashback programme;
• Your communications with mySupermarket;
• Information about your current location (for users of any mySupermarket App). You may opt out of having this data collected at any time by managing your smartphone location services settings;
• Other Information related to your use of the Services;
• Other information related to your activity, such as which website referred you to us;
Data we collect from other sources
We may receive information about you from third party sources, such as data aggregators and from third parties to whom you have given permission to share your information or from whom you have given us permission to request your information. For instance, by registering for the Sites using Facebook or another social network, you grant permission to that network to share your details. Depending on the network rules and your settings on it, this may include data such as your date of birth, your marital status, the number of people in your household and other information.
Sensitive Personal Data
C. How We Use the Information We Collect
We use the personal data we collect to provide the Services, to customise and improve your mySupermarket experience, to make your experience as enjoyable and efficient as possible and for commercial purposes.
Use of Information to Provide the Services
Certain information is required in order for the Services, or certain features of the Services, to operate.
Here are some specific examples of information used to provide the Services.
- Your email address and password allows us to recognise you when you return so that we can provide you with a faster service and a personal user account.
- Your postcode allows us to identify which Supermarkets deliver to your area and what products are available at those Supermarkets. Products in particular Supermarkets do sometimes vary by locality.
- We use your IP address to prevent any spam, fraud or abuse of our site.
- We use your login data for Supermarkets:
- to allow you to place an order or book a delivery slot with one of the Supermarkets,
- to import your favourites from any given Supermarket and to update these favourites lists when you visit mySupermarket
- to confirm completion of orders placed (including collecting information about your purchase from the third-party Supermarket website, such as the items you ultimately received, the basket total and delivery date). This may be to work out whether you may be eligible for Cashback on one of our Cashback Programmes or for other verification reasons.
- To facilitate your registration to a Supermarket, we may provide you with the ability to register for a relevant third party website of a Supermarket through the Sites. If so, we may pre-populate certain fields in the registration form for that third party website for you. If we do so, it will be for fields for which we already hold your information, such as your name, postcode and email address. You always have the opportunity to delete any fields that we pre-populate.
Use of Information to Customise and Improve the mySupermarket Experience
We want your shopping experience on mySupermarket to be as enjoyable as possible. We will collect the data about your shopping activities and preferences to customise your account (in addition to how you customise it yourself) and to enable us to provide an efficient and user-friendly service. We will also use it to improve the quality of the site.
Here are some specific examples of how we use your data:
• We keep details of your favourites from any of the Supermarkets (if you have chosen to import them to your mySupermarket account), details of items you have added to favourites and details of previous baskets of goods you have ordered in your favourites list. This will allow you to shop more efficiently on future visits.
• We keep a record of the contents of your baskets of goods between shopping sessions. This allows you to continue shopping sessions that you may have stopped midway with no need to add again all the items that you already placed in your basket.
• We may keep a record of certain of your preferences such as sorting order of items and the last shelf you accessed, so you don’t need to reset these preferences every time you start shopping.
• We keep a record of your login details for the Supermarkets to make it faster for you to place orders or book delivery slots in the future so that you do not continually have to re-enter such details. We also keep these details to ensure you are able to benefit from our cashback programmes as we use them to verify your eligibility, as we set out above. If you have chosen to import your favourites from a Supermarket, we will use your login details for that Supermarket in order to automatically update any imported Supermarket Favourites lists when you visit the Sites. If you do not wish to have your imported Supermarket Favourites lists automatically updated, you can easily opt out updating your Import Favourites preferences in the “My Account” section of the Sites at any time.
• Paying attention to how you use the Sites help us to develop improvements to the Sites and the Services.
• If you have been referred to us by a third-party website, we may keep a record of the website that referred you so that we may work out which websites refer more or less users to our Sites. We may also have referral arrangements with certain third-party websites and referrers and we may use this data to fulfil obligations that we may have to these third-party websites or referrers.
• We collect and track individual and aggregate information about shopping habits, products and service preferences and selections which users have made and the like. We use this information for the personalisation or general improvement of the Services, but also for the purpose of business research. You can see more about aggregate information below.
• We collect and track individual and aggregate connection information such as browser type and version, operating system and platform; other software and hardware information and the like. We use this information to understand how and when our users access our services, and so we can further develop our Sites and Services to suit.
Use of Information for Commercial Purposes
mySupermarket does not charge non-commercial users for use of the Sites. When you use a service like Gmail, you ‘pay’ for the service by allowing Google to scan your emails and use the information they find to target ads at you. When you use the MSM comparison service, you ‘pay’ for the service by allowing us to use the data we collect about you and about your use of Sites, which we then anonymise, aggregate and sell. In terms of data which is personal to you however, we earn revenues from this (which allows us to keep the Sites online and totally free to our non-commercial users) through industry standard sources and methods including advertising sales which may be targeted to you (including online behavioural advertising, including and personalised retargeting advertising, ) and through the sale of business intelligence data (which is anonymised).
Here is how your information is used for this:
- We use information about your activity on our site, including information about your current location when using the App, in order to present you with targeted advertising—that is, product information, offers and promotions that we think may be interesting to you and that you might like. Without targeting, you will still see advertisements; they are just less likely to be relevant.
- We share information with certain carefully selected third party partners so that they can:
- present you with advertisements and promotional offers that are relevant to you and your interests on both mySupermarket and other sites based on your activity on mySupermarket or, alternatively;
- to present you with advertisements on mySupermarket based on your activity on other websites. For example, you may see ads for products you viewed on another website while browsing mySupermarket.
For more information on data sharing, please see the “Data Sharing” section.
- We collect and may display or use for the purposes of marketing and advertising the Sites, Services or ourselves, any testimonials you provide us with about the Sites, the Services or ourselves – and we may append to the testimonial your first name (but not your surname) and general geographic location (e.g. City or locale).
- We collect data on your (and other users’) activity in respect of products and how users shop online in order to develop business intelligence insights on consumer behaviour in general, in respect of a particular brand or product and other areas. This data (which is anonymised and is based on a statistical analysis of the activity of thousands of users) is sold or provided to mySupermarket customers which include journalists, brands, retailers, researchers and others. Examples of data we might look at are: which products you seem to prefer; which products you have added to (or removed from) your mySupermarket favourites list and to or from the lists you have imported from Supermarkets using our Import Favourites service; products you tend to purchase together; how you use the site (e.g. in what order consumers do their online shopping) and other areas. For more information, see the section on Aggregate Information, below.
Use of Your Email Address
We use your email address to communicate with you. Some of these are service emails and are so we can communicate with you about Sites updates or your activity on the Sites. For instance, we may send you service emails:
• after registration for the Services or any cashback programme, notifying you of your registration details;
• after you have sent a basket of goods to a Supermarket, giving you details about that including regarding applicable cashback amounts;
• to send you information which you have asked for; and
• to contact you about the status of ratings or reviews you have submitted using our Services.
In addition, from time to time we may email you marketing emails with Sites news and updates or details of sales offers or promotions. These may be marketing for the Sites itself or on behalf of third parties. We may also contact you for market research purposes, either for commercial purposes or so we can get feedback about the Sites.
Aggregate information is data we collect about a group or category of products, services or users, from which individual user identities have been removed and from which it is not possible to work out individual customer identities. In other words, information about how you use a service may be collected and combined with information about how others use the same service, but all such information will be anonymised and no identifying information will be included in the resulting data.
Aggregate data helps us to understand trends and customer needs so that new products and services can be considered and so that existing products and services can be tailored to customer desires. We use and disclose anonymised aggregate information to provide other products and services, as well for the purposes of evaluating and improving our existing products and services. We also sell such aggregate information, both via our business insights website and through other channels.
D. Security Measures
All of the information we collect about you is stored on our secure servers and will be held securely in accordance with our internal security policy and the law. For example, we use secure encryption to hold passwords (e.g. the password allocated as part of the registration process – which may later be changed) or your login details for a Supermarket (if you authorise us to save this information).
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our Site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
F. Data Sharing
• We may share your personal information to any member of our group of companies, which means any subsidiaries of mySupermarket Limited, or its ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries.
• At times we work with other companies who help us to provide the Services to you or provide other support services pertaining to the operation of the Sites. These companies receive only the personal information required in order to provide services, and are not allowed to use that information for anything aside from providing the services.
Corporate and Statutory Purposes
• We may transfer our databases containing your personal information if we sell our business or part of it and engage in another similar corporate transaction.
• We will share personal information where we are required to share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation.
Third Party Partnerships
We may share your personal information with other third parties with whom we have a partnership.
|Managing Your Online Choices||In addition, to the individual link listed below for each partner, many online advertisers (including a number of our partners) are members of industry initiatives which work to improve consumer understanding and awareness about online behavioural advertising as well as to establish codes of good practice for their members. You can visit the initiative websites for more information about online behavioural advertising and to manage your cookie choices for their member companies.
Your Online Choices
Network Advertising Initiative
Digital Advertising Alliance
|Oracle||mySupermarket engages in online behavioural advertising audience creation in partnership with Oracle
What information we give them: your hashed (encrypted) email address and information regarding your activity on our Website
What they do: Oracle is a data aggregator that creates “audience segments” used in online behavioural advertising. These audiences are pools of web users who have been grouped together based upon previous web browsing activity and are then served advertising which matches their shared interests and preferences. Oracle endeavours to anonymise the data used to create online audiences so as to help ensure that individuals cannot be personally identified. These anonymous audiences are then made available to marketers for use in online behavioural advertising campaigns and to measure the effectiveness of their online advertising.
In addition, Oracle uses anonymised aggregate information as a basis for market research both to improve its own services and as a service to third parties.
Based on your activity on mySupermarket and on other websites with whom they have partnerships, Oracle will add you to audience segments which are used by marketers to serve you with online advertisements and promotional offers that are relevant to you and your interests on different sites on the Internet or on mySupermarket.
|Audience Science||mySupermarket engages in online behavioural advertising audience creation in partnership with Audience Science. Audience Science collects data on behalf of P&G (Proctor & Gamble).
What information we give them: information regarding your activity on our Website
Based on your activity on mySupermarket and on other websites with whom they have partnerships, Audience Science will add you to audience segments which are used by P&G to serve you with online advertisements and promotional offers that are relevant to you and your interests on different sites on the Internet or on mySupermarket.
|Targeted Advertising / Media Platforms||What they do: mySupermarket and our media partners work with a number of companies offering technology platforms that are used to buy, sell, and deliver online advertising, as well as for the collection, processing and use of data used as a basis for targeted and content-based media campaigns. These platforms may themselves buy, sell, or deliver ads, or they may solely provide technology or services (e.g. data collection and audience building) that their clients use for those purposes.
These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address or telephone number) about your visits to this and other third-party websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. In addition to information about your interaction with mySupermarket or other third party websites, information collected may include your IP address, internet network data, browser type and other non-personal information. The information collected can also be used to infer things about you, such as your demographics (age, gender etc.)
A list of our most commonly used platforms appears below, together with a link to each platform’s website where you can learn more about the platform.
Google Doubleclick Bid Manager
Mediacom Programmatic Buying Unit
H. Obtaining Your Personal Information
You can request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you. Please note that we will need to see proof of identity before processing your request and that there may be an administrative fee (not exceeding the maximum permitted by law) for this. If you find any inaccuracies we will delete or correct them promptly.
Please direct your inquiries to:
Lower Ground Floor,
1 Great Cumberland Place, London
H. Questions or Comments?